Bulldogs to host Team USA wrestling team at Rec Center
Brianna Campbell

Fresno State’s Student Recreation Center will play host to Team USA between Aug. 5 and Aug 17, according to GoBulldogs.com on Friday.

The team will be putting on a national team camp as it prepares for the 2018 World Championships in Budapest, Hungary in October. Delegations from France, Norway, Netherlands, Ukraine, Germany, Austria, Hungary and Azerbaijan will join the U.S. team at the camp.

“We are honored to host Team USA in their preparations for the World Championships later this fall,” Bulldogs head men’s wrestling coach Troy Steiner said. “Anytime you have a chance to be around athletes of this level it is exciting,” he added. “They are true professionals, the detail they put into their work is amazing.”

Steiner said he wanted his wrestlers to watch some of the practices. “A lot can be learned from being around and rubbing elbows with some of the top coaches and athletes in the world,” he commented.

Troy Steiner’s twin brother Terry is the head coach of the U.S. squad. Terry Steiner is entering his fifth Olympic cycle as the head coach.

Under Terry, the U.S. team placed second in the world in 2003 and has placed third eight times (2005, 2011, 2013, 2014, and 2015 in non-Olympic years). Unofficially, since the Olympic Games does not keep team scores, the USA women placed second in 2004 and third in 2008. During the Rio Olympics quad, USA was third in total World/Olympic points scored and was also third in the medal count.