Bird scooters allowed on campus roadways, university says

You may have heard about the Bird scooters that have been strolling throughout the Fresno State campus — or maybe you’ve seen people using one without a helmet.

The electric vehicle serves as a gas and money saver, according to those who use it, that can be easily accessed through the Bird app via smartphone.

Bird’s are great for small journeys and can replace a car ride that is less than two miles long according to Bird’s representative Mackenzie Long.

“I Bird all the time and love it,” Long said.

With a maximum speed of 15 mph, when charged the scooters can last up to 15 miles. They cost $1 to start each ride plus $.15 cents per minute.

Safety regulations are expected to be followed when renting a Bird, including wearing a helmet, being 18 years or older, having a driver’s license and following traffic rules.

The Bird scooters are not allowed on sidewalks and are only to be used in bike lanes and on streets, according to Long. ­

According to Fresno State’s Manager for Emergency Operations and Business Continuity, Amy Luna, students are allowed to have the scooters on campus but are restricted to established roadways. ­

“The biggest issue we have right now are folks leaving them on the landscape areas,” Luna said.

It is encouraged that students wear helmets and stay away from the sidewalks on campus for safety.

The Bird company provides free helmets upon request. Not wearing a helmet can lead to serious consequences, like getting cited by police.

Recently, Grant Montie, a Fresno resident, got a $238 ticket for not wearing a helmet while he rode a Bird in San Diego.

“I was aware that you needed a helmet, but when I was there I didn’t see one person with a helmet,” Montie said.

After using the scooters on two occasions, Montie said he does not like them.