Courtesy+photo+%2F+University+Communications+
Courtesy photo / University Communications

Here are your 2018 Undergraduate Deans’ Medalists

Elizabeth Barba, Kremen School of Education and Human Development
Born in Mexico, Elizabeth Barba moved to the U.S. when she was only six months old. In eighth grade she began studying French and now is fluent in English, Spanish and French. Barba is graduating with a bachelor of arts degree in liberal studies and a minor in French while receiving a 3.56 GPA. She has a passion for helping children in the community by assisting in programs like Jumpstart Fresno and Kings Canyon Head Start. Barba is now a candidate for the Fresno Teacher Residency program through Fresno Unified School District.

Katelin Britton, Jordan College of Agricultural Sciences and Technology
Raised on her family’s fruit farm, Katelin Britton grew up with a passion for agriculture. She worked her summers harvesting cherries, peaches and apples. Britton is graduating with her bachelor of science degree in agricultural business while maintaining a 3.97 GPA. She was also team captain for the Bulldogs’ swimming and diving team where she was awarded with Academic All-Mountain West honors. Britton also completed multiple internships at Ott and Davison Consulting in Clovis; Van Groningen & Sons in Manteca; and Gaarde Food Source/Pangea Cultivar Management in Fresno. Her goal is to eventually take over her family’s business.

Selena Carbajal, College of Social Sciences
As a first-generation college student and a daughter of two immigrants Selena Carbajal made her education at Fresno State a unique one. She is graduating with three bachelor of arts degrees in women’s studies, psychology and Chicano studies with a 3.97 GPA. Carbajal is a McNair Scholar, a Sally Casanova Pre-Doctoral Scholar and a research assistant for the Latino Family Dynamics Project. She used her diverse fields of study to research a number of issues. She will continue her studies this fall at the University of Arizona where she will pursue her doctorate in family studies and human development.

Yvette Espinoza, Lyles College of Engineering
Yvette Espinoza grew up knowing very little English. Today, she is graduating from Fresno State knowing three languages: English, Spanish and Mandarin. Espinoza is graduating with her bachelor of science degree in computer engineering with minors in mathematics and Chinese with a 3.83 GPA. She had such a passion for the Chinese language and culture that she studied for a semester abroad in Shanghai. Her passion for engineering began as she joined the Mathematics, Engineering, Science Achievement (MESA) Program, and later landed two internships with Raytheon Missile Systems. She has accepted a full-time position with Northrop Grumman, a global aerospace and defense company.

Patricio Galindo, College of Health and Human Services
In 2010, U.S. Marine Patricio Galindo was deployed to Afghanistan during Operation Enduring Freedom and served overseas for seven months. Galindo was awarded eight medals for serving as well as a certificate of appreciation from former Vice President Joe Biden for assisting with the protection of President Barack Obama during a visit to Hawaii. Civilian life was a difficult adjustment for Galindo who suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and bilateral hearing loss. He used his GI Bill to attend Fresno City College. He transferred to Fresno State where he is earning his bachelor of arts degree in social work with a 3.85 GPA. Galindo has worked on numerous service projects that impact veterans and students. He will continue his studies at Fresno State in the master of social work (MSW) program.

Prabhsimrat Gill, College of Arts and Humanities
As a child Prabhsimrat “Peekay” Gill had a passion for educating and storytelling. When she was in kindergarten, she would set up a mock classroom at home and teach her stuffed animals. Gill continued her desire for teaching by graduating with a bachelor of arts degree in English education with a 3.83 GPA. She also is an advocate for educating Valley youth through organizations like the Gobind Sarvar Gurmat School in Fresno and “The kNOw Youth Media.” Gill is now preparing to teach English at the high school level.

Anoush Hakopyan, Craig School of Business
Growing up with a family business, Anoush Hakopyan came to Fresno State to further advance her knowledge in the field. She is graduating with her bachelor of science degree in accounting with a 4.0 GPA. During her time on campus, she was involved in the Armenian Students Organization, the VITA program and the Student Managed Investment Fund. She has accepted a full-time position with K-Coe Isom, a nationwide public accounting firm where she previously served as an intern. Her future plans include getting her doctorate and becoming a professor.

Majerle Reeves, College of Science and Mathematics
Majerle Reeves is graduating from Fresno State with two degrees this spring. She is receiving her bachelor of arts degree in mathematics and a bachelor of science degree in mechanical engineering. During her time at Fresno State, she was involved in two research projects that align with her fields of study. The first project was a team effort in modeling the spread of influenza in California. The second was using data science techniques to classify locations in Manhattan. She will continue her education at University of California, Merced this fall to receive her doctorate in applied mathematics.

Brandon Sepulveda, Division of Student Affairs and Enrollment Management
Brandon Sepulveda committed himself to serve students during his time at Fresno State. He served on Associated Students, Inc. (ASI) for two years as vice president of finance and then executive vice president. During his time in ASI, he worked on a number of projects including increased funding for sponsored activity grants and undergraduate research and expanding the campus readership program with the addition of The New York Times and The Wall Street Journal to students. He is graduating with a bachelor of science degree in finance and a minor in public health. After graduation he will work with the Peace Corps to help teach children math in Tanzania.