%28Fresno+State+Athletics%29+
(Fresno State Athletics)

Bulldogs celebrate the 2017-18 season

The Fresno State athletics’ department gathered at the Save Mart Center on Monday to celebrate and honor its student-athletes for the “Night of Champions Gala.”

The softball team was the first to be honored with the Community Service Award. The ladies led the department with 10 hours of community service each, helping the department exceed 1,000 hours.

The softball team then cheered on its 2017-18 George IIg Newcomer of the Year recipient, Hayleigh Galvan. The sophomore ranks second in the Mountain West in on-base percentage at .512, has a batting average at .377 and ends the regular season with  eight home runs.

Freshman wrestler AJ Nevills was also honored with the same award after placing second at the Big 12 Conference Tournament and appearing in the NCAA Championships.

Softball player Kaitlyn Jennings was the lone recipient to receive the Paul Shecter Courage Award after showing an undeniable passion for the game, even after separating both of her shoulders.

Myra Delgadillo represented the women’s soccer team as she accepted the Giant Step Academic Award alongside football player KeeSean after showing significant strides in the classroom.

Club Red recognized lacrosse player Abby Bergevin and men’s basketball Terell Carter II leadership on and off the court with the Club Red Bulldogs Spirit Award. Their respected coaches and teammates nominated the two.

Up next, the Harold Haak Most Memorable Moment. Wrestler Khristian Olivas took the award home for the men after recording the first Bulldog home win since 2006. He notched a 10-2 major decision over Illinois on Nov. 17.

Freshman pitcher Danielle East took it for the women. She tossed a no-hitter against New Mexico — all strikeouts — on Match 31.

The most memorable team moments was given to the football team based on it win over Boise State, the first victory over a ranked team since 2004. The women’s tennis team was also honored as well, especially since they won the 2018 MW Championship.

The last award was the Bulldog of the Year. With finalists like baseball’s Edgar Gonzalez, softball’s Katie Castellon and men’s tennis Zander Veys, the judge’s had a tough decision.

In the end it was basketball player Candice White and football’s Aaron Mitchell to take it home, for good reason.

Mitchell received All-MW First Team honors and was a pivotal player on the Bulldog offensive line this past season.

White led her team with 19 points per game, collected All-MW First Team and notched a 40-point game in Fresno State, the first-ever in Fresno State women’s basketball history.