Reporter+Jorge+Rodriguez.+
Reporter Jorge Rodriguez.

A semester full of stories and more to come

Sports have always been one of my favorite pastimes whether it’s playing them or watching them and I have always been a fan of the Fresno State Bulldogs, and this semester, I was fortunate to write for the sports section at The Collegian, and here are some of the best sports events I had the privilege to cover.

One of the first events I covered this semester was a baseball game, and it was a great experience from start to finish. For me, it was a whole new experience being in a press box. I had previously covered different games during my time at The Rampage, Fresno City College’s student-run newspaper, but this was completely different.

I had access to live statistics which made it so much easier to follow the game and have the correct information for the article. Also, going down and interviewing head baseball coach Mike Batesole was an awesome experience, especially since I had been a fan of his for years.

Another great experience I had was when I covered the last home game of the regular season for the women’s basketball team. It was an exciting game that went down to the wire, and I was sitting in the front row watching it all happen.

I have been privileged to have been able to cover those games, and also I have enjoyed covering the softball team for the majority of its home games. Even though I wasn’t a big fan of softball, I am a fan now.

I enjoyed every win they had and suffer every loss, and I want to wish them the best in the last games of the season.

There were many stories I worked on this semester from games to profiles, and from opinion pieces to having collaborated Mike Ford, Nugesse Ghebrendrias and Will Ramirez, among others in making the sportscast podcast.

The sportscast was kind of my little side project that started as a “let’s see how it goes” kind of thing, and it taught me a lot of lessons. Next semester, I hope to bring more sports news from Fresno State athletics to all the students.

Next semester will bring more exciting challenges especially with football and basketball season around the corner. I hope that I can rise to the challenges that the upcoming semester bring and that I can bring great stories to all the students at Fresno State.