Courtesy+of+Barking+Bulldogs+Debate+Team.+Barking+Bulldog+debaters+Primavera+Leal+Martinez+and+Hunter+Sansom.+
Courtesy of Barking Bulldogs Debate Team. Barking Bulldog debaters Primavera Leal Martinez and Hunter Sansom.

Two ‘Barking Bulldogs’ members receive national recognition

Two members of Fresno State’s Barking Bulldogs Debate Team has seen considerable success over the past few weeks.

Fresno State students Primavera Martinez and Hunter Sansom were honored at the Cross Examination Debate Association (CEDA) National Championship Tournament in Tacoma, Washington. The tournament is one of the largest in policy debate and is attended by most debate teams in the country.

Martinez received the All-American Debater Award, which is given to a student who “demonstrates competitive success, academic success, good conduct, and contributes to the debate community,” according to a news release from the Barking Bulldogs.

Sansom and Martinez both received the Summa Cum Laude award, the highest subcategory of the National Debate Scholar award. Summa Cum Laude status is earned by maintaining a 4.0 GPA while also spending more than nine hours a week researching, practicing and preparing for debate tournaments, the news release stated.

On a separate, but related note, Martinez and Sansom also found success in Associated Students, Inc. (ASI) elections held before spring break. Martinez was elected as the Vice President of External Affairs, while Sansom was elected as the Senator for the College of Arts and Humanities.

Fellow Barking Bulldogs teammate Jordan Cody was also elected into ASI as a Senator at-Large.