Photo source: Theatre for Young Audiences

Theatre for Young Audiences visits Valley Children’s

The Fresno State Theatre for Young Audiences (TYA) touring company visited Valley Children’s Hospital on March 15 for a special performance of its spring production.

The college acting troupe presented “Wondrous Tales of Old Japan,” by David Furumoto, directed by Fresno State Theatre Arts Department Chair J. Daniel Herring. The play incorporates music, dance and pantomime to re-enact a collection of Japanese folk tales.

The performance at Valley Children’s was made possible through the Adopt-a-School program and a donation from College of Arts and Humanities Dean Dr. Saúl Jiménez-Sandoval and his wife, Dr. Mariana Anagnostopoulos.

The Adopt-a-School program through TYA allows donors to contribute to the costs of the performance. It also allows them to select schools to donate to and bring the TYA troupe to their community.

TYA performed in the Guild Hall with an audience of about 15 patients, their parents and caretakers. The presentation was coordinated through Valley Children’s Big Hearts for Little Hands program that allows special events to be put on by high schools, church groups and other volunteers.

TYA has performed at more than 40 elementary schools for more than 16,000 children throughout the San Joaquin Valley, providing students with a taste of the arts.

The students in this spring’s TYA production will tour throughout the Valley this semester as well as perform on campus during Vintage Days. Two free performances are scheduled for April 21, at 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. in the Dennis and Cheryl Woods Theatre in the Speech Arts Building. The showings are open to the public, and attendance is on a first-come, first-served basis.