Charah Coleman cuts the ribbon and officially opens Fresno State’s new Money Management Center in the Thomas Building, March 4, 2018. (Benjamin Cruz/ The Collegian)

Money problems? Campus Money Management Center holds grand opening

Fresno State students are now able get financial advice on campus with the help of the Money Management Center.

Although the center’s services were available since early January, a grand opening for its on-campus location was held last Wednesday.

The event included a ribbon-cutting ceremony outside the east side of the Thomas Administration Building with many students and staff in attendance.

The center, located in that building, Room 104, is designed to help students have a better understanding of how to manage their finances. Some services provided are financial literacy, money budgeting and debt management.

“As a college student, I think we can all use it,” said accounting major Britney AviIa. “I definitely think that this is a good resource to have on campus.”

The center is composed of coordinator Charah Coleman and two student financial coaches, Roman Dedios and Caitlin Reiman. Student coaches act as peer-mentors who provide coaching sessions for students and help facilitate workshops.

“We want to reach all 26,000 students and empower them to take ownership of their personal finances,” Coleman said. “I’m really happy and exited that this day is finally here — it’s an honor to serve our students in this capacity.”

The ribbon-cutting ceremony began with Coleman welcoming everyone and introducing Debbie Young, director of the Career Development Center, which the Money Management Center will be a part of.

Young spoke about the importance of having the center at Fresno State and how thankful she was for Coleman and her team for making the center a reality.

She also marked the center’s partnership with Wells Fargo bank. Young said Wells Fargo was instrumental in the development of the Money Management Center.

Fresno City Council President Esmeralda Soria presented the center with a proclamation. After the ribbon was cut, attendees were invited into the hallway of the Thomas building for refreshments.

Some students said they were happy to see that the center was finally open.

“I think a lot of students, including me, don’t know what they are doing with their finances, so I think it is a great resource for students,” said accounting major Arlene Jaramo.