(Fresno State News)

Los Danzantes de Aztlán will take stage in San Francisco

Los Danzantes de Aztlán, Fresno State’s folkloric Mexican dance group, will showcase its talent and culture in July at the 40th annual San Francisco Ethnic Dance Festival.

The festival will take place over the course of three weekends from July 6 to 22 at the San Francisco War Memorial Opera House and City Hall. Los Danzantes will perform on July 21 and 22.

This is the group’s third time auditioning for the festival. It has been accepted to perform all three times.

Los Danzantes is the only university-based and Central California-based group to be accepted that many times.

“Being selected to perform at this c is no easy accomplishment,” said Dr. Victor Torres, the group’s director and a professor in the Chicano and Latin American studies department at Fresno State. “It takes lots of dedication, passion and rehearsal.”

Los Danzantes will perform huapangos from the state of Hidalgo. The music is tied to a number of Mexican states: Tamaulipas, Veracruz, Puebla, San Luis Potosí, Querétaro and Hidalgo.

The festival will also feature music and dance from Alaska, Bolivia, Cambodia, China, Cuba, India, Korea, Liberia, Mexico, Peru, the Philippines, Spain, Tahiti, the continental U.S. and Zimbabwe.

Tickets for the festival go on sale April 24. They can be purchased online at worldartswest.org/main/tickets.asp or by phone at 415-392-4400.