The Collegian archive

Fresno State now plans roughly $45 million renovation on, around Bulldog Stadium

A once $60 million dollar renovation plan to modernize Fresno State’s Bulldog Stadium has been downgraded.

University officials cite a changing financial landscape as the reason for the renovation plans to drop to $45 million with limits to the restorations.

Three years ago, Fresno State revealed the plans to renovate Bulldog Stadium. The aging football venue that opened in 1980 had been in need of serious upgrades, but in January the university announced that it had shifted the plan’s focus to upgrading other athletic facilities including the Duncan Building and the student-athlete village.

Since then, the university revealed the renovations are expected to cost $45 million, according to Patti Waid, spokeswoman for Fresno State. But she said the budget will not be official until the full scope of the project is finalized.

Financing capacity will determine the final amount, she added.

“The scope of the project would be focused on upgrading the facility and fan experience such as addressing backlog of deferred maintenance, improved patron access, Americans with Disabilities Act improvements, new replacement seating and improvements to existing skyboxes, restrooms and concessions,” Waid said.

Waid suggested a full financial plan would be ready by the fall, when they have a firm grasp on a renovation timeline.