TNS
Students from across the system’s 23 campuses protest outside the Cal State trustees board meeeting Wednesday, March 22, 2017 in Long Beach, Calif. (Iran Khan/Los Angeles Times/TNS)

Fight for more CSU funding heads to the capital Wednesday

Individuals from many California State Universities, including a busload of students from Fresno State, are gathering Wednesday in Sacramento to ask legislators to allocate more funding to the CSU system.

The CSU Board of Trustees has previously requested $263 million in additional funds from the state government to fund the CSU system in the 2018-19 budget, according to spokeswoman Elizabeth Chapin.

Gov. Jerry Brown initially allocated $92.1 million to the CSU system in his 2018-19 budget proposal released in January.

The amount that the board requested is to fund a variety of areas within the CSU system: $30.9 million for mandatory costs, $15 million for academic facilities and infrastructure needs, $20 million for a 1 percent increase in funded enrollment, $122.1 million for employee compensation increases and $75 million for Graduation Initiative 2025.

In March, Fresno State Associated Students, Inc. President Blake Zante issued an open letter to Gov. Brown. In it, he encouraged the governor to “fully fund” the CSUs by highlighting challenges students — specifically at Fresno State — have faced, like hunger, homelessness and financial insecurity.

“The young people of our Valley will continue to be at a disadvantage if they are denied access to a higher education,” Zante wrote.