Craig School dean appointed as interim provost

Fresno State Craig School of Business dean Dr. Robert M. Harper was appointed as interim provost, according to a news release by University President Dr. Joseph Castro.

The announcement comes after Fresno State Provost Lynnette Zelezny was appointed as president of California State University, Bakersfield in March.

Castro said Harper will begin his new role on May 21, as Zelezny is set to begin her presidency at CSU Bakersfield in June.

In Castroā€™s statement, he said Harper will ā€œprovide excellent academic leadershipā€ for the campus.

Harper began his career at Fresno State in 1990 as an accounting professor, and also served as department chair before becoming dean of the business school in 2009.

In a statement to The Collegian, Harper said he is ā€œhonoredā€ to be appointed to his new role.

ā€œI look forward to working with the strong team in Academic Affairs and in other areas on campus to advance the momentum toward empowering our students for success,ā€ reads a portion of the statement.

According to Castro, a national search for a permanent provost will begin in the fall 2018 semester.