Sophomore+forward+Bryson+Williams+against+San+Diego+State+at+the+Mountain+West+Tournament.+%28Fresno+State+Athletics%29+
Sophomore forward Bryson Williams against San Diego State at the Mountain West Tournament. (Fresno State Athletics)

Bryson Williams seeks to transfer from Fresno State. Will others follow?

After former San Diego State Associate Head Coach Justin Hutson was hired, all seemed to be well at Fresno State.

But that doesn’t seem to be the case. On the Bulldog Insider with Andrew Marden earlier this evening ”” a local Fresno State-based sports program, coach Marc Q. Jones broke the news that forward Bryson Williams will be seeking a transfer next season.

The reason was unclear.

The 6 foot 8 inch forward has been one of the best homegrown products the program has seen in years. The Roosevelt High School graduate averaged 13.8 points and 6.1 rebounds per game in the 2017-18 season, as he helped lead the team to a 20-win season for the second time in his two years as a Bulldog.

Williams’ rare combination of length, quickness and strength gave the Bulldogs a pillar for the future — however that is now in doubt.

Without Williams, Deshon Taylor is the lone returner from Bulldogs starting five from this past season. With a change in the midst, holding onto all the players was key.

Interestingly, in an interview with KMPH sports broadcaster Nick King, Taylor said he spoke with his teammates and that he had no indication of any departures.

But Williams’ decision to rethink his future at Fresno State wasn’t the only domino to fall after Juston Hutson’s arrival.

Isaac Likekele, a recruit out of Mansfield, Texas, has recently reopened his recruiting after rethinking his own opportunities. The 6 foot 3 inch point guard would’ve been a perfect substitute for senior Jaron Hopkins.

Likekele stated “changes in the program” as his reason for opening recruitment options. As for Williams’ motivation, that is still unclear.