graduation 2024

Los Angeles Harbor College student Brenda Soriano, second from right, and her mother Edilbertha Martinez, left, participate in a rally in support of the Deferred Action for Child Arrivals, or DACA program in Los Angeles on September 5, 2017. (Genaro Molina/Los Angeles Times/TNS)

Survey: 7 out of 10 people in the Central Valley support DACA

A recent survey performed by Fresno State’s Institute for Leadership and Public Policy shows that 7 out of 10 people in the San Joaquin Valley support the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program.

The program, signed by former President Barack Obama, gives young undocumented immigrants a two-year reprieve from deportation and a legal work permit to remain and work in the United States. It has also allowed recipients to obtain driver’s licenses and attend school. More than 200,000 out of the nearly 800,000 DACA recipients live in California.

President Donald Trump ordered the program be canceled by March 5, but several legal challenges have kept the fate of the program in the hands of the court system and Congress, likely until the fall.

The DACA survey was conducted from Feb. 5 to 15 and was based on random samples from registered voters in the San Joaquin Valley. It had a margin of error of plus or minus 3.9 percent.

Other findings in the survey showed that 93 percent of Latinos in the Valley support the program along with 68 percent of African-American and Asians. The survey showed that 61 percent of white, non-Hispanic voters support DACA.

When voters were asked if they knew someone who would be affected if DACA was to end, 54 percent said yes. Nearly three-quarters of Latinos surveyed said they knew someone who was protected by DACA.

“There are clear differences across party lines,” Jeff Cummins, co-director of the institute, said. “Nearly all Democrats (93 percent) support the DACA program, along with more than 3 out of 4 Independents.”

The complete report and all the findings from the survey can be found in the Institute for Leadership and Public Policy website.

$100
$500

$100
$500

tasam1Mar 6, 2018 at 6:28 pm

Seventy-five percent were under DACA illegal alien deferred deportation? President Trump promised to deport DACAs, DREAMers, and all illegal aliens. Enforce the immigration laws.