Illustration by Casey Supple

Stolen hard drive exposes information of more than 14,000

Fresno State released a campuswide email on Tuesday notifying students of “potential data exposure” after a university hard drive was stolen last December.

Information of at least 300 current students and faculty was breached, including information of more than 14,000 former affiliates of campus.

Most of the data is from 2003-2014 and may contain names, addresses, phone numbers, credit-card numbers, driver’s license numbers, full or last four digits of Social Security numbers and usernames and passwords, according to the news release.

Individuals affected are expected to be notified this week.

“We assure you that the university is addressing this incident as a top priority and ensuring that affected parties have been notified,” Chief Information Officer Orlando Leon wrote in the email. “Though this appears to be an isolated incident, we certainly take any data theft very seriously.”

University officials said there has been no indication of the “misuse” of the stolen information reported, and that an ongoing investigation is in place.

A call center has been established. Those affected can contact 877-646-7924.

Individuals whose Social Security number, financial information or driver’s license was been exposed will have access to free credit monitoring for one year.

Fresno State President Dr. Joseph Castro said the university is reviewing campus wide policies and procedures to avoid future incidents.