Photo Courtesy: Tenor
Photo Courtesy: Tenor

Sometimes, I fall asleep while socializing

On a couple of occasions, I have fallen asleep while socializing with others. It’s not always easy staying awake. Sometimes, my seat is just a smidge too comfortable and the next thing I know – a photo of me asleep is included in someone’s Instagram story, probably paired with a caption like “can’t hang.”

People often poke fun at me for this. I’ve been called a grandma before.

It’s not personal. Just because I fall asleep while hanging out with you doesn’t mean I dislike you or that you’re boring me. You can go ahead and blame it on my introvertedness. Socializing is fun. It’s even necessary. But at times, it’s too much.

Falling asleep in social settings gives me pretty strong FOMO. FOMO stands for “fear of missing out” and is often used to describe the feeling of not receiving the opportunity to experience something worthwhile. Once, I woke up and found out that my friends had played an entire game without me. When I found out that I missed all of it, I was heartbroken. They had fun without me.

When I drift into exhaustion, I struggle to focus on the conversation. I might miss out on something great – but I’ll never know.

Also, I worry about talking while asleep. I’ve been told that I do so. What if I reveal something confidential? I should not be held responsible for my sleep talking. That’s another version of me. I guess what I’m saying is – don’t confide in me with your secrets. I’m a trustworthy person, but I don’t know if I can say the same about myself while I’m unconscious.

There will always be something funny about someone falling asleep while spending time with their friends. As for me, just because I’m not in my bed doesn’t mean I won’t go to sleep.