Camila Chávez (left), the daughter of Dolores Huerta and niece of César Chávez visits campus to honor her uncle in the 21st annual garlanding ceremony (Khone Saysamongdy/The Collegian).

Fresno State to celebrate Cesar Chavez

Editor’s Note: A previous version of this story stated that California Senator Kamala D. Harris would be in attendance. Harris’ press secretary informed The Collegian after publication that she would not be attending the event.­

Julie Chavez Rodriguez, granddaughter of late-civil rights activist Cesar Chavez, is coming to Fresno State to join in on the school’s 17th annual Cesar Chavez celebration on Wednesday.

The celebration will run from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. in front of the Cesar Chavez monument in the Peace Garden and will be hosted by the Latino/a programs and services of the Cross Cultural and Gender Center.

Rodriguez is scheduled to speak at 12:25 p.m. She is a Valley native who has served as the deputy director of public engagement for the Barack Obama administration and has worked with the White House’s Security Council to improve relations with Cuba.

Rodriguez is a keynote speaker, but Chavez will be celebrated through the arts, as well. There will be performances by the Aztec Dance Club, Los Danzantes de Aztlán and the Fresno State Mariachi band.

U.S. colors and the United Farm Workers of America flag will be presented, and the Chavez statue will be garlanded with flowers.

“As a former seasonal farmworker, I am extremely proud to work together with Fresno State students, faculty and staff to put together this celebration to commemorate the life of the late Cesar E. Chavez,” said Ofelia Gamez, director of the college assistance migrant program, in a news release. “His work has been and continues to be instrumental to the farmworkers across the nation.”

The Cesar Chavez blood drive that began on Tuesday will continue through Thursday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m..

The drive is being sponsored by the Jan and Bud Richter Center for Community Engagement and Service-Learning, the Central California Blood Center and the College Assistance Migrant program at Fresno State.