Fresno State student Nicole Turpin leads the march during the “Fresno State Rejects Hate” rally on Nov. 15, 2016 (Khone Saysamongdy/The Collegian).

Protesting will not affect your admission, CSU chancellor says

California State University Chancellor, Timothy P. White said Thursday that current applicants to the CSU system who engage in “peaceful participation” of protests will have no impact on their admission to a CSU campus.

“As a university, we encourage the peaceful exchange of diverse viewpoints and are committed to free speech rights,” White stated.

Two weeks after a mass shooting that left 14 students and three faculty and staff members dead at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, gun control has been a top of national importance.

Organizations like “March For Our Lives” and the “Women’s March” have joined to schedule nationwide walkouts and protests for gun control.

School districts in Texas and Wisconsin threatened to suspend students who participated in the protests, causing fear for seniors with college pending admissions.

Fresno State, along with the other CSU campuses, joined the list of universities who will not rescind admissions letter to students who join the demonstrations.

March For Our Lives protest is set to take place on Sat. March 24, 2018. A Fresno protest is is also scheduled for that day.