%28Lorie+Shaull%2FFlickr%29
(Lorie Shaull/Flickr)

More than half of high school students are walking out, survey says

More than 50 percent of high school students plan to walk out for the “National School Walkout,” according to a survey conducted by Kaplan Test Prep.

“We are witnessing a time of student activism not seen in decades, amplified by the power of grassroots social media,” said Yariv Alpher, executive director of market research at Kaplan Test Prep, in a news release.

The rise in student activism comes after the recent high school shooting in Parkland, Florida. Nearly half of the students surveyed said they would participate even if they would penalize their college admission. Other students said disciplinary action from the high school administration and their parents are preventing them from participating in the walkout.

“The percentage of high school students who plan to walk out would potentially be higher if students were not concerned that their actions would result in penalization from their parents, high schools or the colleges to which they plan on applying,” Alpher added.

Many universities, including the California State University chancellor, have announced that admission decisions will not be penalized if one chooses to walkout. Other universities include Harvard, Yale and UCLA.

The survey was distributed to more than 400 high school students and the walkout is set for Wednesday at 10:00 a.m. at several high school campuses in the U.S.