Photo via Facebook

You asked, they answered — second live student forum held

Fresno State President Dr. Joseph Castro and Associated Students, Inc. President Blake Zante

answered questions from the university’s community last week in the second livestreamed student forum of the academic school year.

For nearly an hour, questions and comments regarding a variety of subjects were sent in through Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

One student commented that Adobe Creative cloud computer software is needed for students. Castro said that he has heard this comment from many students.

“I know it’s important and I know that your dean is looking into this with the provost and I am hoping to have a solution very soon. I hear you loud and clear,” Castro said.

Another student asked if there was a medical school being planned as an addition to the campus. Castro said that a medical school is still in the discussion stages in Sacramento. It would require legislation to be approved.

“I certainly am open as the president of Fresno State to collaborating with the University of California, and I think that we can do something very special with [University of California, San Francisco] and UC Merced that would serve the students of the Valley,” Castro said.

“Assemblyman [Joaquin] Arambula continues to advocate for that, and I hope that we can see a medical school in the future here in the Valley,” Castro said.

Student Elias Acosta commented on Facebook that he would like to see an online degree in education to become a public school teacher. Castro said that Fresno State is planning to add more online courses and degrees in the future.

Bulldog sport event ticket holder Vincent S. Correa asked about the quality of the Wi-Fi network at events.

“I was just at the association board of directors meeting, and they were discussing potentially upgrading the Wi-Fi network at the Save Mart Center so I know that is something that is up and coming,” Zante said.

Castro added that the update is in discussion among athletic representatives.

“I think that is going to be happening this year. We definitely need it — I know football is in the discussion stages, so we hear you and it’s definitely something that we are working on,” Castro added.

Don Daves-Rougeaux, Fresno State alum and chief of strategy and fund development at San Francisco Unified School District, asked Castro and Zante about what services the school offers for first-year students for mindfulness and mental health.

Zante said he thinks it is very important for first-year students to have resources to help cope with their initial experiences of being in college.

“We have the [Student Health and Counseling Center] on campus which is a really great resource for students,” Zante said. “Our counselors in there, I have heard a lot of good feedback about them.”

Castro also commented on the resources the university has for physical health.

“I know they do programs in the [Student Recreation Center] as well for exercising,” Castro said. “Programs that emphasize good nutrition as well. We have walking programs and trails around the campus for outdoor activities.”