WordFest 2018 will take place in Peters Business this Saturday. (fresnostatecah.com)

This week in entertainment: Black History Month celebrations, WordFest and ‘The Vagina Monologues’

‘Vagina Monologues’ this week

“The Vagina Monologues” will be held Thursday and Saturday at 7 p.m. in North Gym 118. Tickets are $5 in advance at the Cross Cultural Gender Center in Thomas Building 110 or $7 at the door before the show.

CineCulture to screen ‘Our Little Sister’

CineCulture presents a screening of “Our Little Sister” (2015) with a discussion led by Dr. Ed EmanuEl on Friday at 5 p.m. in the Peters Education Center Auditorium. The film runs for 2 hours and 8 minutes, is in Japanese with English subtitles, and is free and open to the public. Parking is not enforced after 4 p.m. on Fridays.

Choirs to honor Dr. King and Black History Month

Fresno State choirs will team up with Fresno City College choirs for “Walk in Peace: A Celebration of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and Black History Month.” The concert will begin at 7:30 p.m. Friday in the Fresno State Concert Hall. The program will focus on the African-American spiritual, combining excerpts of readings from the speeches of significant Americans from the Civil Rights struggle. This is the second annual Walk in Peace concert. Tickets are $5.

Celebrate Black History Month with free movies at Maya Cinemas

In honor of Black History Month, Maya Cinemas Fresno 16 will be screening free movies that “honor the people and films that have inspired change.” The screenings will take place at noon every Saturday throughout February, and the first film will be “42.” On Feb. 17, “The Color Purple” will be shown; and on Feb. 24, “The Help” will be offered. Tickets are available on a first-come, first-served basis while supplies last and can only be picked up at the box office.  

Authors to visit campus for WordFest

The San Joaquin Literary Association, along with The Normal School: A Literary Magazine, will host their annual WordFest event on Saturday. Poet Laurie Ann Guerrero, fiction author Christine Hyung-Oak Lee and graphic novelist Julia Wertz will visit Fresno State for an entire day of craft talks, ending with an evening reading where their books will be available for purchase. The event is free and open to the public. The craft talks will be held on Saturday in the Peters Building, in PB 132. Guerrero’s will be from 9 to 10:50 a.m., Wertz’s will be from 11 a.m. to 12:50 p.m., and Lee’s will be from 2 to 3:50 p.m. The reading will take place in the Alice Peters Auditorium, PB 191, from 7 to 9 p.m. Parking will be free and available in Lot P6. Any questions should be sent to [email protected].

Black History Month art exhibition

“A Celebration of Black History,” an exhibition of student artwork, is on display through March 3 in the Dean’s Gallery, in the west wing of the Music Building. Student works on display highlight various creative perspectives of African-American themes with interpretations from identity to social constructs. Each piece seeks to invoke further interest and cultural awareness with simplicities and complexities of the African-American experience through a Black Art aesthetic, organizers say.