Courtesy of Barking Bulldogs Debate Team. From left to right: Quinten Levin, Hunter Sansom, Primavera Leal Martinez, Nick Mirza, Correll Vaughn and Tom Boroujeni

Debate team earns third place

The Barking Bulldogs Debate Team, a fairly young debate group on the Fresno State campus, is said to be running out of space to store its trophies.

That was the report from Tom Boroujeni, director of debate, after the team’s recent competition in Long Beach.

Boroujeni said varsity speaker Primavera Leal-Martinez earned the eighth-place award in the Winter at the Beach Speech and Debate Tournament at California State University, Long Beach held Feb. 2-4. Hunter Sansom took home the 12th-place speaker award in the varsity division.

Leal-Martinez and Sansom placed third overall in the varsity division of the tournament, Boroujeni said in a news release Sunday.

The two competitors had won four of the six preliminary rounds of the competition. They advanced to the elimination rounds, where they defeated Arizona State University in the quarterfinals and then moved on to compete against Weber State University, Boroujeni said. But the winning streak ended for the two students there.

Three younger Barking Bulldog debate teams also competed for the first time during the Long Beach tournament.

Among the new competitors, Aaron Lowe and Nick Mirza earned eighth and 14th-place speaker awards, respectively, in the junior varsity division. The judges had grouped the “novice” and “junior varsity” competitions during the tournament.

The Barking Bulldogs will next face off against other schools at the Pacific Champs Debate Tournament, which will also be held in Long Beach on Feb. 23.

A series of wins at fall competitions landed the Barking Bulldogs in the national spotlight at times. The debate team ended its first half of the 2017-18 season last semester in third place.