Contemporary Dance Ensemble to premiere ‘Epistêmê’

University Theatre at Fresno State is premiering “Epistêmê” on Friday. It is the eighth-annual spring production by the Contemporary Dance Ensemble.

The show will run through Feb. 24 in the John Wright Theatre.

“Epistêmê” is the product of the portable dance troupe company class (Dance 163). The ensemble features 15 students who perform five new dance works and one previously performed work.

Students in Dance 163 needed to audition to get into the class, which gives them the experience of performing and touring their works.

The dances in this production were choreographed by theatre arts professor Kenneth Balint, dance major Nathalie Quiros and dance artists/choreographers Janelle Paris and Anandha Ray.

“The [dances] are all very different from each other. So when we prepared for it, it’s a lot about mentality, like how to keep yourself going for hours and hours to practice and keep the feeling of the choreography up and trying to keep the same mood every time you perform,” said Mali Lee, a dance major and performer.

The word Epistêmê derives from an ancient Greek term meaning “knowledge” or “understanding.” The dance routines relate to dancers’ and audiences’ understanding of present day issues in society.

Tickets for adults are $17; $15 for Fresno State faculty and staff, alumni and military; and $10 for students.

Box office hours are from noon to 4 p.m. on weekdays and is open one hour before each performance. For more information, contact the box office at 559-278-2216 or [email protected].