Fresno State football’s defensive coordinator Orlondo Steinauer is back in the Canadian Football League after a year away. (Courtesy CFL)

Bulldogs’ defensive coordinator leaves

Orlondo Steinauer is returning to the Canadian Football League after one season as the Bulldogs’ defensive coordinator.

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats announced Thursday that Steinauer would be joining the team as an assistant head coach for the 2018 season.

This is Steinauer’s second coaching stint with the Tiger-Cats and third coaching stint in the CFL.

He was a defensive backs coach and defensive coordinator for the Toronto Argonauts from 2010-2012. He then spent four seasons as the Tiger-Cat’s defensive coordinator before taking the job at Fresno State.

Steinauer helped lead the Tiger-Cats to consecutive Grey Cup appearances in 2013 and 2014.

“This was a big decision for our family, and I’m unbelievably excited to join the Tiger-Cats and June Jones’ staff as his assistant head coach,” Steinauer said. “Our family has spent the vast majority of our lives in southern Ontario together and the opportunity right now in Hamilton was perfectly aligned with my personal and professional priorities, which obviously include bringing a Grey Cup back to the great fans of the Tiger-Cats.

“This was certainly not an easy decision to leave the situation at Fresno State, which has been incredible. I want to thank all of the great people, players and coaches at Fresno State, who all contributed to a memorable season, to say the least.”

Steinauer’s one season with the Bulldogs was a successful one, with their run defense ranking first in the conference, and their pass defense not too far behind at fifth.

The defense played a crucial role in the Bulldogs’ journey to the Mountain West championship game, as well as their Hawaii Bowl victory.

A national search will begin immediately for the vacancy at Fresno State.­