Freshman AJ Nevills against Utah Valley’s Dustin Dennison at the Save Mart Center on Jan. 19, 2018. (Alejandro Soto/ The Collegian)

Fresno State notched first Big-12 win

Bulldog wrestling split its road trip against Northern Colorado and No. 10 Wyoming this weekend.

The Dogs’ picked up their first Big-12 win against Northern Colorado Friday at the Bank of Colorado Arena.

Freshman AJ Nevills, redshirt senior Sean Williams, redshirt sophomore Khristian Olivas, Dominic Kincaid and redshirt sophomore Richie Brandt each secured wins for the ‘Dogs.

The evening came down to the last match with Brandt and redshirt senior Tanner Davis at 197 pounds.

Brandt competed at 197 pounds to fill in for injured teammate Josh Hokit. He competed at 184 pounds on Jan. 19 against Utah Valley.

His takedown over Davis gave the ‘Dogs a 4-3 win to tie the evening at 19-19. Fresno State won based on total team points, which was 60-57. The final score was 20-19.

This Saturday, Fresno State lost to No. 10 Wyoming, 40-6 at the Arena-Auditorium.

Nevills and Olivas were the only ‘Dogs to win a match.

Nevills remains perfect with a 16-0 season while Olivas notched his 23rd win of the season. He is now 15-1.

The ‘Dogs will be back at the Save Mart Center against No. 25 Stanford this coming Saturday.