Sophomore Bryson Williams looks for an open pass on Dec. 3, 2017 at Dee Glen Smith Spectrum. Utah State won in overtime, 81-79. (Fresno State Athletics)

‘Dogs lose to Utah State in overtime

The Fresno State men’s basketball team fell to Utah State in overtime 81-79 on Wednesday at Dee Glen Smith Spectrum.

The ‘Dogs are now 1-2 in Mountain West play and 11-5 overall.

“That was rough down the stretch. We had opportunities and just didn’t do it. Whether it was at the foul line or missing layups. There were opportunities there to still, even with all the things that occurred throughout the course of the game, to finish the game, and we didn’t do that,” head coach Rodney Terry said.

In the first half, the ‘Dogs converted 56 percent from the field, 75 percent beyond the arc and made 4-of-6 free throws, but it was not enough as the Aggies took the half 39-35.

Battling back after the half, Fresno State took the lead, 69-59 with just under four minutes to play.

Utah State then scored 10 unanswered points including Koby McEwen’s game tying free throw.

“In overtime, [Utah State] they made plans, they made their free throws, they made their layups. So at the end of the day, you just have to close the game out. Games are hard to win on the road. You have an opportunity to do it, you have to step in and do it,” head coach Rodney Terry said.

The Aggies continued their drives in overtime going 4-of-5 from the field, 1-of-2 from the arc and converting 75 percent from the charity stripe.

In the end, the ‘Dogs were unable to answer back.

Fresno State’s Deshon Taylor scored a team-high 24 points in his 42 minutes of playtime while sophomore Bryson William went 7-of-7 from the field, collecting 18 points and 1 block.

The ‘Dogs will continue their road trip to Fort Collins, Colorado where they will face the Colorado Rams.