Fresno police was investigating the Delta Sigma Phi fraternity house on Wednesday, Jan. 3, 2017 in connection to the death of a Fresno State student. (Alejandro Soto/The Collegian)

Student who died after frat house visit identified

This story has been updated with new information.

The Fresno State student who died Wednesday after he was rushed from the Delta Sigma Phi fraternity house to Saint Agnes Medical Center has been identified.

The Fresno County Sheriff-Coroner’s office on Thursday identified the student as Omar Nemeth,19, of Fresno. He was a sophomore studying biochemistry according to the university.

The cause of death has not been determined, but Fresno County Sheriff spokesman Tony Botti said an autopsy, including a toxicology test, was being scheduled.

Nemeth’s father, Miroku Nemeth took to Facebook Wednesday night to ask for prayers for both his son and his family.

“Anyone who knew my son Omar knows that he was full of light and love. His sweetness was the kind of sweetness you rarely find in a human being, and when you find it, it is the sweetness that you never want to be away from, not even for an instant,” the older Nemeth wrote on Facebook.

In a news release on Wednesday, Fresno State President Dr. Joseph Castro also offered his condolences to the student’s family. “We are deeply saddened by this tragic news, and our hearts are broken for the student’s family and friends,” he said.

The student was not a member of the fraternity, according to a news release from Dr. Frank Lamas, Vice President for Student Affairs and Enrollment Management at Fresno State.

Fresno police officers investigated at the fraternity house on Millbrook Avenue near Bulldog Lane at 2:30 p.m., according to Lamas’ news release. As police investigated, a group of fraternity brothers stood as a group behind the home.

A crime scene investigation unit arrived to the house just after 6:30 p.m. Police brought down crime scene tapes just before 7 p.m. Fresno State said Fresno police are handling the investigation.

A Collegian reporter reached out to Delta Sigma Phi President Jack Kelley but did not get an immediate response Wednesday.

Razmik Cañas contributed.

$100
$500

$100
$500

WaltherPPKSJan 4, 2018 at 12:46 pm

“went to Facebook”? WTF. The first thing after you learn of the death of your son is you went to Facebook? LMAO. The West Coast is doomed…