‘Extra-Terrestrials’ director Carla Cavina answers questions following a screening of the film on Jan. 26. (Bineet Kaur/The Collegian)

CineCulture spring lineup commences with Puerto Rican film

Fresno State’s CineCulture club kicked off its first film screening of the semester with the movie “Extra-Terrestrials” (“Extra Terrestrias”) on Friday.

The Spanish film, which had English subtitles, was directed by Carla Cavina and is about a Puerto Rican family whose eldest daughter, Teresa, visits after being away for seven years. She comes home to a family at odds.

Alex Sherriffs, who also saw the film, said he values getting to see a film made in another country.

“It’s wonderful to see cinema from other countries and realize how rich filmmaking is throughout the world,” Sherriffs said.

The daughter in the film is hesitant about telling her family that she is engaged to a woman. And her father, Arcadio, manages a poultry farm, which she finds unethical.

“I thought the story was very touching,” said Lesa Schwartz, who saw the film. “I loved the interaction of the family. The family loved each other a lot, but they struggled.”

After the film, Cavina, who is from Puerto Rico, answered audience questions about directing the film. Last year’s hurricane that hit Puerto Rico was also discussed.

Fresno State graduate Jesse Martindale said he attended because he was enrolled in the CineCulture class when he attended Fresno State.

“The message — how I interpreted it — was that everyone is their unique self and we’re trying to find who that is,” Martindale said.

The next CineCulture screening will be “Columbus” on Friday. Producer Andrew Miano is the discussant.