Fresno+State+President+Joseph+Castro+gives+his+welcome+speech+to+attendees+of+the+2015+New+Student+Convocation+at+the+Save+Mart+Center%2C+Monday%2C+Aug.+14%2C+2015.+
Fresno State President Joseph Castro gives his welcome speech to attendees of the 2015 New Student Convocation at the Save Mart Center, Monday, Aug. 14, 2015.

Castro to be honored as Linked Learning ‘champion’

Fresno State President Dr. Joseph Castro was named 2018 “Linked Learning Educator Champion” by the The Linked Learning Alliance.

The Linked Learning Alliance organization said its work is based on making education relevant to students.

The organization provides real-world and hands-on learning and encouragement, according to a news release announcing Castro’s achievement.

Castro is being honored specifically for his contribution to the university’s agriculture department, the news release stated. He has implemented an agreement with the Wonderful Agriculture Career Prep (Ag Prep) to guarantee admission to high school students who transfer to the university and meet certain requirements.

Ag Prep students are considered transfer students based on the associate degree of transfer they receive after completing their high school pathway, according to Linked Learning Alliance.

The Linked Learning champions will be honored at the fourth annual Linked Learning Convention in February in Anaheim.