Freshman+guard%2Fforward+Bree+Delaney+driving+to+the+basket+against+Eastern+Washington+on+Nov.+10%2C+2017+at+the+Save+Mart+Center.+%28Megan+Trindad%2FThe+Collegian%29+
Freshman guard/forward Bree Delaney driving to the basket against Eastern Washington on Nov. 10, 2017 at the Save Mart Center. (Megan Trindad/The Collegian)

White shines but ‘Dogs fall short

Despite junior guard Candice White’s career-high 34 points, the Fresno State women’s basketball team lost on the road to California State University, Northridge 85-72 on Saturday.

The Matadors started hitting their stride about halfway through the first quarter, taking a 25-18 lead at the end of the quarter.

The ‘Dogs struggled in the second quarter as the Matadors surged, leading to a 50-27 CSUN lead at halftime.

Fresno State mounted a comeback in the second half with a 22-2 run to end the third quarter, but the Matadors held on in the fourth to secure the win.

Freshman forward Maddi Utti was the only other Bulldog to score in double digits with 13 points.

The ‘Dogs fall to 2-5 and return home to play Pacific (4-2) on Thursday at 7 p.m. at the Save Mart Center.