graduation 2024

Maddi Utti at the Save Mart Center against Arizona State on Nov. 15. (Fresno State Athletics)

White and Utti lead ‘Dogs to win against Air Force

Fresno State women’s basketball defeated Air Force on Saturday afternoon at Clune Arena in Colorado, 64-58.

The ‘Dogs are now 1-1 in the Mountain West Conference and 6-7 overall.

Junior Candice White continued to lead the ‘Dogs alongside forward Maddi Utti for a combined 38 points in the first half.

Utti impressed with the second-highest scoring output this season with eighteen points. She also recorded two team-highs of seven rebounds and four assists.

White recorded her fifth 20-point game of the season. She also made all four of her free throws to extend her consecutive streak to 57 to secure the sixth-longest in NCAA Division I history.

The ‘Dogs were able to put up forty points in the first half to win the half, 40-18.

Coming out of the second half, the Falcons were able to go on a 14-0 run with nine straight points from freshman Kaelin Immel.

Even then, the Falcons continued to trail the ‘Dogs by 12 points with 10 minutes to play.

The ‘Dogs extended their lead to 20 in the fourth quarter by going on a 8-0 run with six points by White.

The Falcons’ Immel and senior Courtney Porter then put up a combined 16 points during a 19-4 run to put the game at 60-55 with 52 seconds remaining in the contest.

Aly Gamez and White each converted a pair of free throws to secure the ‘Dogs win, 64-58.

Fresno State shot over 50 percent for the first time this season since the opener against Eastern Washington.

The ‘Dogs also shot 46.2 percent from behind the arc to tie their second-best percentage of the season.

Fresno State will be back home to host Utah State Jan. 3 at the Save Mart Center.