Fresno+State+running+back+Ronnie+Rivers+%2820%29+runs+the+ball+against+Boise+State+on+Nov.+25%2C+2017%2C+at+Bulldog+Stadium.+The+Bulldogs+won+28-17.+%28Daniel+Avalos%2FThe+Collegian%29+
Fresno State running back Ronnie Rivers (20) runs the ball against Boise State on Nov. 25, 2017, at Bulldog Stadium. The Bulldogs won 28-17. (Daniel Avalos/The Collegian)

What’s next for the ‘Dogs? Hawaii

Even though Fresno State lost in the Mountain West Championship game, the team gets somewhat of a consolation prize: a trip to the Hawaii Bowl against the Houston Cougars.

“Every team in college football wants to extend their playing season, and I am thrilled for our players and staff,” head coach Jeff Tedford said in a news release. “We are pleased to represent the Mountain West in the Hawaii Bowl against a very good Houston team, and I look forward to preparing our team for a well-deserved bowl game.”

The ‘Dogs (9-4) are playing in a bowl game for the first time since 2014 when they lost to Rice in the Hawaii Bowl. This is the third time in the last six seasons that the ‘Dogs are playing in the Hawaii Bowl.

The Cougars (7-4) are playing in a bowl game for the fifth-straight year. Last year they lost to San Diego State in the Las Vegas Bowl.

This will be the first-ever meeting between the two teams.

The game starts at 5:30 p.m. PST on Dec. 24 at Aloha Stadium in Honolulu, Hawaii, and will air on ESPN.