The+Collegians+Top+Nine+photos+from+Instagram.+
The Collegian’s ‘Top Nine’ photos from Instagram.

Nine big moments we covered in 2017

Another year is in the books. As we head into 2018, let’s reflect on nine 2017 moments you most liked on our Instagram.

MCJ Showcase

It was a night of honors, laughs and respect for the media, communications and journalism (MCJ) department at Fresno State as it celebrated the end of a year’s achievements on May 3 during the MCJ Showcase of Excellence.

The showcase, hosted by MCJ 159 class, honored work from each MCJ option: multimedia production, broadcast journalism, print journalism, advertising and public relations.

The Collegian took home nearly 10 awards among our team in various categories. Read the full story here.

Newspaper Factory

The Collegian team took a trip to see how its newspapers get printed. The Sanger Herald invited The Collegian to tour its printing facilities this year and gave a look at how our papers go from our computers to the kiosks on campus and to your hands.

Our paper is printed by Mid Valley Publishing Inc., which also prints newspapers for several other local newspapers.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BYt2aPonNhc/?taken-by=fscollegian

Aaron Judge Home Run Derby

On July 10, former Fresno State baseball player Aaron Judge became the first athlete to win both the College and Major League Baseball Home Run Derby in their career.

Judge is one of many professional athletes to come from Fresno State. There is even a best trio from Fresno State that was recognized this year.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BWZY7N2lp-2/?taken-by=fscollegian

Derek Carr’s jersey retirement

On Sept. 2, Fresno State retired former Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr’s No. 4 jersey. It was the seventh retired number in Fresno State history. His number was placed beside his brother’s, David Carr, No. 8 jersey.

Celebration and the a gleam of hope marked the beginning of a redeeming football season for the ‘Dogs.

Support for DACA

On Sept. 5, approximately 1,200 Fresno State students rallied on the Free Speech Platform after an announcement came from the White House that the Deferred Action Childhood Arrivals program, or DACA, would be terminated. Read about what happened that day here.

Hopes after loss

The Collegian spoke with Ellie Choate Hufft, the wife of Fresno State music professor Dr. Bradley Hufft, after he died suddenly in the spring. She spoke about about her husband’s sudden death and what she will remember most about him.

Read about how Mrs. Hufft, students, faculty and staff remembered the impact Dr. Hufft had on their lives.

Memorial Day

Many of you loved our image from this year’s Memorial Day. On that day, we honor the men and women who gave their lives to protect our country.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BUr2F9Gh1Mg/?taken-by=fscollegian

Fall 2017 Staff Photo

In this picture, our staff was all smiles after two successful days of Bootcamp. This past semester we had a strong group of editors, staff writers, photographers and advertisers.

Read a letter from our Editor-in-Chief, Cresencio Rodriguez-Delgado and his mission to serve the student population.

‘Collegian Day’

For the second year, “The Collegian Day” was proclaimed by Fresno City Councilmember Paul Caprioglio on April 6. The honor recognized the student-run newspaper’s triumphs in this year’s California Collegiate Media Association statewide competition.

The Collegian racked up 18 awards from various categories. You can read that story here.

We hope you stay connected to our stories as well as stories of all at Fresno State in 2018.