(Fresno State Athletics)

‘Dogs drop Mountain West opener on the road

The Fresno State women’s basketball team lost the Mountain West opener to Nevada, 90-73 on Dec. 29 at Lawlor Events Center in Nevada.

The ‘Dogs are now 0-1 in the Mountain West Conference and 5-7 overall.

Despite the loss, junior Candice White led the team with 24 points, 4 rebounds and a career-high of seven assists.

White scored 20 of those points during the first half. This is the third time she has scored 20 points in a half.

Twelve of those twenty points were made in the first quarter to put the ‘Dogs in the lead. But, the Wolf Pack slowly gained their first lead in the second quarter after going on a 8-2 run.

Fresno State regained the lead with a little more than three minutes left in the half. But, the Wolf Pack eventually took the half after a 9-3 stretch to 43-38.

Nevada ended up taking the third quarter as well, 65-47 after going 12-for-14 from the line.

Securing the win in the fourth quarter, Nevada made seven of its’ nine field goals to extend the final score, 90-73.

This is the most points the ‘Dogs have given up since Washington State in Nov. 2013, 92-79. 

The ‘Dogs were outrebounded 50-35 while being outscored 24-5 in points off turnovers and 21-9 in second chances.

Breanne Knishika scored 12 points in the contest and recorded 3 rebounds. She finished 4-for-5 from behind the arc, tying her career-high in a game.

White also made two free throws to extend her streak to 53. She is now tied for the seventh-longest streak in NCAA Division I history.

The ‘Dogs will now travel to Colorado to face Air Force on Dec. 30.