An email to Fresno State students Wednesday, Nov. 15, said someone placed an MLB jersey and a hat on the Martin Luther King Jr. (Photo: Razmik Canas)

Someone is messing with Fresno State’s MLK statue

Fresno State officials are scratching their heads and wondering who placed a shirt and hat on the statue of Martin Luther King Jr. in the Peace Garden.

Amy Luna, manager of emergency operations & business continuity, said the shirt was spray-painted to look like a jersey.

The front of the shirt said “SF”, and had a last name “Bonds” with the number 25 on the back side.

It’s unknown when the items were placed on the statue, but an email by university President Dr. Joseph Castro sent to students Nov. 15 said it was brought to the attention of the university police and the items were removed immediately.

Castro, in his email, said the information has been shared with the Academic Senate, Associated

Students Inc., the Afrikan Black Coalition and the President’s Commission on Human Relations and Equity.

“Acts such as this are disrespectful and inconsistent with our core values of discovery, diversity and distinction,” Castro said.

A day before the statue incident, soap was thrown into the fountain near the University Student Union. A Collegian staffer caught an image of that scene. It was unclear who placed the soap in the fountain water.
Anyone with information about either incident is asked to contact the university anonymously using [email protected] or calling or texting 559-664-3204.