The Jan and Bud Richter Center for Community Engagement and Service-Learning celebrated its 10th anniversary Monday, Nov. 13 in the North Gym. (Brandon Rowe/The Collegian)

Richter Center celebrates 10 years of service

The Jan and Bud Richter Center for Community Engagement and Service-Learning celebrated its 10th anniversary Monday.

The celebration, which was an ice cream social held in the North Gym, allowed students to mingle.

The Richter Center is a hub of community service and engagement opportunities from within California State University, Fresno. It was founded in 2007 by its namesake couple who attended the event ”” Jan and Bud Richter.

After 10 years of operation, the group boasts an estimated 11 million hours of community service, said a university news release. Nearly 1.4 million hours are from within the last year alone.

The center doesn’t show any signs of slowing down. The majority of the speakers at the ice cream social were volunteers and leaders from the many student-led organizations that operate in conjunction with the Richter Center.

Fresno State President Dr. Joseph Castro spoke shortly at the beginning of the event.

“As a university that prepares the next generation of leaders, the fact that we are doing it in this special way distinguishes Fresno State from many other universities,” Castro said.

To close out the reception, co-founder Bud Richter spoke about the effect that the organization has had on the lives of him and his wife.

“It’s been a privilege for Jan and I to be involved,” he said. “Of all the things that we’ve been involved in, having the humbling privilege of being involved with [this] gives us the most powerful, possible impact to change the most lives.”