Former+Fresno+State+head+volleyball+coach+Lauren+Netherby-Sewell+%28second+from+left%29+will+not+be+retained.+%28Collegian+file+photo%29+
Former Fresno State head volleyball coach Lauren Netherby-Sewell (second from left) will not be retained. (Collegian file photo)

Longtime coach will not be retained

Interim athletic director Steve Robertello announced on Tuesday that 10-year head volleyball coach Lauren Netherby-Sewell will not be retained.

“Making a coaching change is never easy,” Robertello said in a news release. “Lauren worked tirelessly for Fresno State and the women’s volleyball program and always operated with the highest of integrity and in the best interest of the student-athlete.”

The ‘Dogs finished the 2017 season with a 12-18 record and 7-11 in conference. Netherby-Sewell’s 132 wins at Fresno State are the third-most in program history.

Netherby-Sewell led the team to three berths in the Western Athletic Conference Tournament. Her conference record since Fresno State moved to the Mountain West in 2012 is 42-66. ­

Assistant coach Sarah Chlebana will direct the program until a new head coach is hired.