The table at the Si a la Vida, HIV awareness event outside of the Henry Madden Library on Nov. 2, 2017. Social Work 180 students passed put “pan dulce,” coffee, and HIV information flyers. (Daniel Avalos/The Collegian)

Learn about HIV prevention at this Fresno State event

An event this month will inform Fresno State students of resources available to prevent or treat HIV.

Social Work 180, a class taught by associate professor Dr. Kris Clarke of the department of social work education will host the event on Nov. 14 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the University Student Union Pit.

The informational event has several collaborators, including the Specialty Health Center at Community Regional Medical Center; Red Wave Inn; Fresno State LGBT+ Allies Network; Social Work Students Association; and The Source LGBT+ Center in Visalia.

“The idea is to raise AIDs awareness, to raise HIV awareness, because it hasn’t gone away,” Clarke said. “It’s still in our community and it’s still an issue for young people.”

Simon Paul, medical director for the Community Hospital Specialty Services Clinic, said the clinic has a number of newly diagnosed patients coming from Fresno State.

He encouraged students to not rely solely on the internet to gather information on HIV. While there are “good resources” like thebody.com, he said, events like this can help students find more information on testing available to them. ­

“When you have information, you make can better choices,” Clarke said.

The event will include games, art displays, speakers, Starbucks services and live music from DJ D Soto.

The 180 social work students who planned the event formed different committees to organize information booths, entertainment and media communications. Clarke conducted a similar project last semester with the Japanese American Photo Project.

The event is free to all students, faculty and staff.