Fresno State student organization, Study Abroad Club, hosts a booth at the kick off for International Education Week on Nov. 13 near the Speaker’s Platform. (Jessica Johnson/The Collegian)

Fresno State is celebrating its international students this week

Fresno State kicked off International Education Week to celebrate the university’s accomplishments in promoting the exchange of students across the world.

Food, giveaways and performances kicked off the event Monday at the Speakers Platform near the Henry Madden Library.

Marcela Magdaleno, study abroad adviser, said the week is important for international students because it provides them with a sense of belonging with food, giveaways and performances.

The events also gave students information about opportunities to study abroad.

“One of the goals for this department at [Fresno State] is to make sure that students are able to function in a diverse society,” Magdaleno said. “To be able to study abroad for example. It’s an eye-opener for students.”

Students who participate in the free events this week will have the opportunity to win prizes at Culture Night on Sunday. That will be the closing event.

A list of of events for the week:

International Coffee Hour: Students can learn about Japan’s culture and history on Tuesday from 2 — 3 p.m. in the Library Auditorium 2206.

Study Abroad Student Panel: Students can learn from Fresno State’s Study Abroad alumni on Wednesday from 2:30 — 4:40 p.m. in the Library Auditorium 2206.

International Showcase: Students can discover globally-driven initiatives on campus on Thursday from 4 — 6 p.m. in the Library Auditorium.

CineCulture: CineCulture presents Footnotes, a French musical comedy at 5:30 p.m. in the Peter’s Education Center Auditorium at the Save Mart Center.

Culture Night: Students can experience performing arts and cultures from around the world during the culmination of International Education Week on Sunday, November 19 at 5:30 p.m. in the Satellite Student Union.