Fresno+State+Day+of+Giving+heat+map.+29+states+donated+to+the+24-hour+online+fundraiser+and+raised+more+than+%24400%2C000.+
Fresno State Day of Giving heat map. 29 states donated to the 24-hour online fundraiser and raised more than $400,000.

Fresno State raises funds from more than half the country

It’s now one day after Fresno State launched its first-ever “Day of Giving,” a nationwide 24-hour online fundraiser.

Just before the 24-hour fundraiser came to an end, $428,660 was raised. But by Friday evening, totals were announced.

Donors gifted a total of $431,395, according to a university news release.

Additionally, there were 168 digital ambassadors who helped secure 1,316 gifts.

When the event launched on Thursday, students, faculty and staff stood on street corners near the university and rallied for donations from 5 to 9 a.m.

Accessing the website was a slow process during that time and if anyone did make it, an error message appeared. By 6:20 p.m., the website was back and ready to take in more gifts.

The university pushed for donations even with nine minutes left on Thursday. It asked on social media if more gifts were possible.

In all, 29 states donated and California was the top state with 1,089 gifts. Oregon was the No. 2 giver, with 14 gifts. At third place was Alabama, with five donation gifts.

According to the website, Fresno State Athletics received the most donations with 186 gifts. The College of Arts and Humanities was a close second place with its 179 gifts.

The minimum gift was $10, but donors exceeded that amount. Some, by thousands. Along with the gifts, donors were able to participate in hourly fundraising challenges.

A previous version of this story said the No. 3 donor was Colorado. This version­reflects the correction.