Victor E. Bulldog III poses for a photo with a woman on Feb. 14, 2017. Victor E. attended the quad grand opening event on Fresno State’s campus. (Daniel Avalos/The Collegian)

You can build a stage for Victor E.

Victor E. Bulldog III will be getting his very own student-made stage — a first for a live mascot at Fresno State.

Since his debut at the university, Victor E. has made more than 600 appearances, said Matt Schulz, director of engagement at the Fresno State’s Alumni Association.

He said the association noticed it was hard for some people to pose with Victor E. because he is too low on the ground.

That is when the association decided to launch the “Victor E. Bulldog III Design Challenge.”

“The stage is a way to raise him up, helping make sure he is more accessible,” Schulz said.

Students at the Lyles College of Engineering are being tasked with creating the stages through a contest. But all students are welcome to participate individually or in teams.

The contest will begin on Oct. 10. Students can meet Victor E. from 11 a.m. to noon in the Engineering East Building foyer to take measurements and begin the design process for his stage.

On Nov. 15, students will submit a three-page design narrative. Five students or teams will be selected as finalists on Dec. 1.

The designs will be presented to a panel of judges on Dec. 8 from 1 to 3 p.m. at the Smittcamp Alumni House in the Whitten Room.

A $1,000 cash prize will be awarded to the winning design during finals week, Dec. 11 to 14.

Schulz said the funding of the prize will come from the Victor E. Bulldog program, managed by the association. The program is funded by business sponsors and private donations.

From January to April, the students will bring their designs to life by working with Dr. The Nguyen, assistant professor of mechanical engineering in the Lyles College.

“Students with winning concepts will work directly with me and sponsoring companies to build the product,” Nguyen said. “Materials and supplies will be provided.”

Some of the requirements of the design, according to the submission page, include: a 30-inch height requirement, easy mobility, durability when supporting 80 pounds of pressure, safety for Victor E. and his audience and an area on the stage for sponsor recognition.

Victor E. will show off his newly built stage at Fresno State’s Vintage Days from April 20 to 22.
On May 8, the stage will be showcased with Victor E. at the college’s 11th annual Projects Day.