Max+Irons+and+Samantha+Barks+in+the+film+%E2%80%9CBitter+Harvest%2C%E2%80%9D+which+will+be+screened+for+free+in+the+Peters+Education+Center+Auditorium+on+Friday+%28Mark+Tillie%2FRoadside+Attractions%29.+
Max Irons and Samantha Barks in the film “Bitter Harvest,” which will be screened for free in the Peters Education Center Auditorium on Friday (Mark Tillie/Roadside Attractions).

This week in entertainment: CineCulture screening, cello festival, alumni mixer

‘A Particle of Dread’ continues this week
Fresno State University Theatre continues its production of “A Particle of Dread (Oedipus Variations),” written by Sam Shepard and directed by J. Daniel Herring. The show will run until Saturday. Tickets are $10 for students; $15 for faculty, staff, alumni, seniors and military; and $17 for adults. For more information, contact the box office at 559-278-2216 or [email protected].

Wind Orchestra with the College of the Sequoias
The Wind Orchestra will perform on Thursday at 8 p.m. in the Concert Hall. General tickets are $15, employee and senior tickets are $10 and student tickets are $5. For more information and to buy tickets, visit www.fresnostate.edu/artshum/music/concerts.

Exhibition honors Juan Felipe Herrera
The Center for Creativity and the Arts and the department of art and design pay tribute to Juan Felipe Herrera’s two-term tenure as poet laureate of the United States in an exhibition titled, “Magnifying the People’s Voice: A Laureate’s Journey Across America.” The exhibition will be on display Oct. 5 to 26 at the M Street Graduate Studios (1419 M St.) in downtown Fresno. The opening will be from 5 to 8 p.m. on Thursday as part of ArtHop.

CineCulture to screen ‘Bitter Harvest’
CineCulture presents a screening of “Bitter Harvest” with a discussion led by director and producer George Mendeluk on Friday at 5:30 p.m. in the Peters Education Center Auditorium. The film is R-rated, runs for 103 minutes and is free and open to the public. Parking is not enforced after 4 p.m. on Fridays.

International Cello Festival
Cello Fresno brings the International Cello Festival to Fresno State Oct. 6 to 8. The festival will kick off on Friday at 8 p.m. in the Department of Music Concert Hall with the Cello Mania Concert. On Saturday, there will be solo competition at 6 p.m. in the Concert Hall, and on Sunday, there will be a gala concert at 4 p.m. in the Paul Shaghoian Concert Hall. For more information, visit www.facebook.com/cellofresno.

‘Back to The Bucket’ alumni mixer
The Fresno State Creative Writing Alumni Chapter will celebrate its second annual fall mixer on Saturday from 5 to 7 p.m. at The Bucket Grill & Pub on campus. Admission and parking are free. Alumni who would like to read their poetry or prose are asked to sign up in advance at bit.ly/FSCWmixer17.