Pictured left to right: Melissa Benoist as Kara/Supergirl and David Harewood as Hank Henshaw. (Bettina Strauss/The CW)

‘Supergirl’ cast talks crossover and new characters

It’s a bird! It’s a plane! It’s “Supergirl,” coming in for its third season landing!

On Monday, “Supergirl” was the first series in The CW’s DC superhero universe to premiere this fall. “The Flash” and “Legends of Tomorrow” followed on Tuesday with “Arrow” bowing in on Thursday.

In anticipation of the third season of the series, The Collegian spoke with cast members at San Diego Comic Con this summer.

On the minds of many of the cast members was the newly announced four-way crossover among The CW shows in the DC universe. Last season featured a three-way crossover among “Arrow,” “The Flash,” and “Legends of Tomorrow” that was kicked off in the last few moments of an episode of “Supergirl.”

However, executive producers announced recently that the upcoming season of “Supergirl” will feature a complete four-way crossover. This means that each of the four shows in the universe will feature one continuous storyline across one week at some point this season.

David Harewood, who plays J’onn J’onzz/Martian Manhunter, was included in a short crossover with “The Flash” last season, but indicated that he was very interested in playing a part in future crossover events.

“It would be really, really cool,” Harewood said. “I’d very much like to get over to ‘Legends [of Tomorrow]’ and then end up on ‘Arrow.’ I’d quite like a night out with the ‘Arrow’ crew.”

Last season saw the introduction of actor Chris Wood as fellow alien, Mon-El.

Mon-El, who has since become a love interest for the show’s eponymous superhero, ended the show’s second season in a questionable state. He was last seen in a spaceship drifting toward an ominous-looking wormhole.

Despite the tragic implications of this journey, Wood appeared alongside his castmates at San Diego Comic Con. While he couldn’t confirm anything about his character in the next season, given where he was last seen, he suggested that his current appearance definitely “[meant] something.”

Odette Annable, who previously starred in “House, M.D.” and “The Astronaut Wives Club,” is joining “Supergirl’s” third season as a new villain called Reign.

Annable wasn’t able to give much information on Reign because the character is shrouded in so much secrecy, but teased that her motives say a lot about who her character is.

“Her motives are much different than any of the other villains,” Annable said. “She has a specific agenda, and her story is really quite heartbreaking.”

The third season of “Supergirl” premiered on Oct. 9 and airs Monday nights on The CW.