graduation 2024

Sophomore+Julia+Glaser+playing+offense+against+UNLV+at+the+Soccer+%26+Lacrosse+Stadium+on+Oct.+15%2C+2017.+The+Dogs+beat+UNLV+and+Las+Vegas+over+the+weekend.+%28Fresno+State+Athletics%29+
Sophomore Julia Glaser playing offense against UNLV at the Soccer & Lacrosse Stadium on Oct. 15, 2017. The ‘Dogs beat UNLV and Las Vegas over the weekend. (Fresno State Athletics)

Kicking the week off right

The Fresno State women’s soccer team dominated the weekend, winning games against Nevada and UNLV. This was the first time this season the ‘Dogs picked up two victories in the same weekend.

Kicking off the weekend right on Friday, Fresno State took a 4-1 win over UNLV.

Sophomore Julia Glaser scored all four goals to tie the program record for most goals in a game. The record was set in 2000 by Jill Pearson.

“We stuck to our game plan of putting a lot of pressure on UNLV’s offense, and that really opened up a lot of chances for us,” Glaser said. “It felt amazing to score four goals tonight for my team, but I don’t care who scores the goals as long as we win.”

Coming onto the field, UNLV led the Mountain West in shots, points, goals per game, assists and assists per game. None of that intimidated Fresno State.

The ‘Dogs were quick to get on the board with a goal by Glaser in the third minute. Keeping up the tempo, Glaser connected with a cross from midfielder, Anna Crawford to secure a 2-0 lead before the half.

The Rebels’ Sophie Cortez capitalized on a breakaway to score over the head of Fresno State goalie Nicole Theroux.

Glaser got her first hat trick of the season in a penalty kick, extending the ‘Dogs’ lead to 3-1 in the 49th minute.

Closing out an outstanding night, Glaser scored a header off a cross from senior forward, Myra Delgadillo.

“Our energy on both sides of the ball made all the difference against a strong offensive team like UNLV,” head coach Brian Zwaschka said. “Our team really worked as a unit tonight to get the offensive looks that Julia was able to capitalize on.”

Fresno State brought that momentum into Sunday’s game against Nevada in a 3-1 win.

After Glaser scored the first goal in the eighth minute, UNLV’s Mackenzie Robinson connected with the back of the net in the 19th minute.

“We got off to a great start and got the early goal we were hoping for,” Zwaschka said. “After Nevada scored the equalizer, we had to buckle down and regroup. I felt like we came out and controlled the second half.

Glaser and midfielder Melissa Ellis each recorded a goal in the second half, securing the win.

Fresno State is now in seventh place in the Mountain West with a record of 3-3-2 and 8-5-3 overall.