Fresno State senior Carly Bracken (25) attempts to run the ball past Air Force defender Rafaella Bucur (17) during the game at the Soccer & Lacrosse Stadium on Oct. 20, 2017. Fresno State won 1-0. (Alejandro Soto/The Collegian)

With ‘ice in her veins,’ Glaser leads ‘Dogs to victory

Another game, another big victory for the Fresno State women’s soccer team. The Bulldogs defeated Colorado College at home Sunday 3-1.

Powering the offense was Julia Glaser. The sophomore forward from Germany had a milestone game, scoring two goals to tie the Fresno State season record with 15.

“I love to score goals,” Glaser said. “It’s kind of my job as an attacker.”

Senior forward Carly Bracken also scored a goal in the match. Her goal came on a left cross from senior forward Myra Delgadillo, which Bracken was able to finish with her opposite foot.

“I just happened to be there, and I kicked it in with my right foot, and I was lucky to get it because I am left-footed,” Bracken said. “I was just thinking keep it low and hit it in the corner, and I got it in.”

Head coach Brian Zwaschka knows how big a role his star forward Glaser has on the team. The coach said she always keeps her head up under pressure, and that is how she is able to find the back of the net with such frequency.

“She has ice in her veins in front of the goal, and that is huge for us,” Zwaschka said. “It is really down to timing, and she has a knack for it and makes it look simple and understands good positioning.”

The game wasn’t just a two-person show, though.

Zwaschka was proud of the whole team’s effort, given that its postseason chances were hanging in the balance.

The team made some mistakes early in the season, Zwaschka said, and that put the team into a hole that it had to climb itself out of. But those mistakes also proved to be valuable lessons, he said.

“It is a combination of a lot of little details that led to us having a little bit of success,” Zwaschka said. “A lot of things probably came together at the right time, and we just want to keep it rolling.”

The team was coming off of a victory at home last Friday against Air Force on the strength of a goal by freshman forward Ele Avery.

Now on a four-game win streak, the team has a record of 10-5-3 and 17 points and has outscored the competition 11-3 in those games.

The victory keeps the ‘Dogs in fifth place in the Mountain West standings with one match to go against the first-place San Jose State Spartans. That game will take place on Friday in San Jose.

The top six teams in the conference will make the Mountain West Women’s Soccer Championship Tournament that begins Oct. 31 in Las Vegas.