Students participating in the “Naruto Run” past the Speech Arts Building on Sept. 28, 2017 (Alvaro Lozano/The Collegian).

Believe it! ‘Naruto’ run hits campus

Following the online trend of anime-inspired social events on college campuses, Fresno State experienced its first last week when many students leaned in, threw their arms behind them and went running off.

Students gathered last Thursday in front of the Memorial Court Fountain for a “Naruto Run.” More than 50 people showed up.

The “Naruto run at Fresno State fountain” Facebook event was created by two Fresno State students, sophomore jazz studies major Paris Evans and sophomore kinesiology major Josh Clarin.

“[The Naruto run is] pretty much just running with your arms flailing behind you like a little child,” said Ediberto Gonzalez, a senior majoring in both philosophy and media, communications and journalism. “My guess is that the Japanese animators thought it looked really nice for ninjas to run with their arms flailing backwards. I’ve [also] heard the really silly answer that it’s more aerodynamic, which it is not. That’s not how aerodynamics work.”

These events have been taking place on campuses all over the country, with many videos going viral and leading to other similar events.

“[The event] was inspired by a lot of other colleges around the nation, and I was like, ‘You know what? Fresno State could easily do it, too,’” Evans said.

Many of those who showed up were dressed in cosplay and articles of clothing from the popular Japanese anime Naruto.

The run went from the fountain to the front of the Joyal Administration Building and back. Students were then thanked for participating by Evans and Carlin.

Another anime social event took place Friday. Students gathered in front of the Henry Madden Library to do a “Goku Scream,” a famous yell from another popular anime, Dragon Ball Z.