Students gather around resource tables at College of Social Sciences Quad Kick off on Sept. 28, 2017. (Benjamin Cruz/The Collegian)

Social sciences students meet their ASI senator and learn about resources

The Fresno State College of Social Sciences hosted the Social Science Quad Kickoff on Thursday to introduce new students to the Associated Students Inc. and clubs within the college.

The event, hosted by Edgar Bolaños, ASI senator for the College of Social Sciences, gave new students the chance to interact with their student government and meet others in different majors.

“This is important because I know a lot of students don’t know about ASI,” Bolaños said. “This way students can get free pizza, free ice cream and it’s a friendly way to introduce them to ASI and the resources we have.”

ASI connects the student body to the university administration and gives students a way to voice their opinions on student affairs, Bolaños said.

He encouraged students to attend events such as this and to get involved with their college and the university.

Tables were set up in the quad located between the McKee Fisk and the Social Sciences buildings. Clubs were advertised for the various majors in the college such as political science and public administration.

Free food, drinks and T-shirts were offered to students who attended. There was also a raffle with prizes.

The quad was recently remodeled as part of a $20 million campus maintenance project authorized by Fresno State President Dr. Joseph Castro.

These renovations have given students a much-needed outside area in which they can work, relax and interact with their peers.

“It creates a really cool hangout area for in between classes or at lunchtime where you can hang out with your friends,” said political science student Esmeralda Romero.

The quad also gives Fresno State clubs and organizations a space to advertise themselves and connect with the student body.

“It’s really nice because it barely opened recently, and it gives us the opportunity to throw more events like this and little by little get the students around campus involved,” Bolaños said.