Letter to the editor: The ‘New USU’ and why your voice matters

By Jennifer Vang

As a student who originally voted “No” to last year’s “Bold New U” campaign, I can understand why there is a bit of frustration as to why there is a “New Student Union” campaign for this school year.

However, after joining the USU board of directors out of curiosity, I have come to realize that perhaps Fresno State students did not know, understand or were well-informed about the details entailed with the Bold New U.

One of the main reasons why there is an urgent need for a New Student Union is because there is a lack of space for students.

With an estimated total of 25,000 Fresno State students, a limited amount of food options on campus, and limited space for students to study or hang out with their friends, it is becoming a growing problem within our campus.

As student leaders, we wish to alleviate the future issues that pertain to lack of space for current and prospective students, and the only way to do this is to start by taking action now.

The campaign for this year is all student-run and oriented. We care for what you have to say, and we are open to listening to all opinions from students.

In addition, we are more than happy to answer any questions or concerns about the New Student Union campaign.

Students are free to contact members of the USU board of directors or visit us during office hours in USU 306.