Photo courtesy of the Better Business Bureau

The Better Business Bureau offers DACA recipients tips for seeking legal advice

The Better Business Bureau, a company that provides the public with ratings on trustworthy businesses, is offering advice to recipients of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program who may be seeking legal advice about immigration and their DACA status.

On Tuesday, United States Attorney General Jeff Sessions announced DACA will be phased out in about six months and the Department of Homeland Security has began the phasing out process. A campaign promise of President Donald Trump.

According to a news release from the BBB, the phasing out of the program will put nearly 800,000 young immigrants at risk of deportation since they were protected by the program in 2012.

Halfway through this year, more than 200,000 immigrants have renewed their benefits, according to the news release.

Fresno State President Dr. Joseph Castro announced on Tuesday, that there are more than 1,000 students at the university who are DACA recipients.

The BBB has some words of advice for recipients who may be seeking legal counsel.

• The BBB advises DACA recipients to not seek legal advice from a “notario público.” Although the term can signify an attorney in Latin American countries, that is not the case in America.
  • Do not under any circumstances provide confidential information over the phone and always ask for in-person consultations before making decisions or signing documents.
  • Be aware of businesses or individuals who guarantee they can get you a VISA, Green Card, or and Employment Authorization Document.
  • Keep all original documents in a safe and secure place and do not all anyone to keep them. The BBB warns scammers may keep your original documents until you pay them.
  • Do not send funds through Western Union, buy prepaid cards and always pay using a credit or debit card so there is a paper trail, the BBB said.
  • Lastly, the BBB said to never sign a document before reading it in its entirety and to never sign a document with obsolete or incorrect information.