Cars parked behind the Henry Madden Library on Sept. 19, 2017. (Megan Trinidad/The Collegian)

Report shows increase in car theft

A recent crime report from Fresno State shows a spike in on-campus car thefts.

The university’s 2017 annual security report was released last week and showed on-campus vehicle theft reports went up from six in 2014 to 13 in 2015 and 28 in 2016.

Meanwhile most other university crime statistics have remained relatively unchanged or dropped somewhat consistently since 2014, according to the report.

The campus community was emailed the report on Sept. 14. It contains the latest safety and security procedures, as well as crime statistics for the past three years.

The crime reports are categorized by offense and location. The four locations include: on-campus; residential housing on and off campus; and public property around campus, such as sidewalks.

The information was obtained by anonymous and voluntary reports by victims and witnesses on campus, according to the report. Crime statistics that occurred outside of the campus are provided by local law enforcement.

It would require “a deeper look into the cases” to understand the rise in the number of auto thefts, said Amy Luna, manager of the university’s emergency operations.

The Fresno State Police Department is encouraging people at the university to never leave valuable items unattended. Individuals are also reminded to close and lock all doors and windows of any car, office or residence.

“It is always important to be protective of your property,” Luna said. “Lock your vehicle and do not leave any items in plain view.”

In 2016, there were no reported rapes at the four locations. There were two reported robberies on campus, three off campus and one on public property.

In the same year, there were eight reported burglaries on campus and six off campus.

Domestic violence was reported twice on campus while dating violence was reported twice on campus, once at a campus residence, once off campus and once on public property.

In regards to liquor law arrests, there was one reported on campus and two off campus.

Drug law arrests were noticeably higher. There were 28 reported arrests on campus, four at a campus residence, three off campus and 13 on public property.

Fresno State President Dr. Joseph Castro said in a statement attached to the report that safety is a shared responsibility among all community and law enforcement members in order to “continue to make this a safe and secure campus for us to live, work and learn.”

The report is produced every year in compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act. The act requires colleges and universities that receive federal aid to publish annual safety information and perform basic requirements when faced with instances of sexual violence and potential emergency situations.